Do I have to have a permit to hunt?

Important Notice: will be shutting down on January 2, 2019. However, most of the content found here will now be available on the the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Migratory Bird Program website.

Yes, all hunters over the age of 16 must purchase a Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (Duck Stamp) each year if they want to hunt migratory waterfowl. In addition to a Duck Stamp, waterfowl hunters need to purchase required hunting licenses/stamps from the state wildlife agency. Hunting permits and licenses vary from state to state. To be sure you are in compliance with all laws and regulations, please contact your state agency to be sure you know what is needed before you hunt. For more information about hunting visit: For more information about state licensing requirements, visit:

Submit a question